Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What’s for Dinner?

Southwestern Bean Skillet

My grandmother gave me a few different cook books before she passed away. Other than flipping through them a few times and feeling overwhelmed, I’ve never utilized them. Well, Mimi would be proud of me! I took on the the Better Crocker books she gave me and flipped through it a few weeks ago and planned out a menu for two weeks (not the whole two weeks came from the cook book, but several new recipes did). It was really quick and easy to make, and as a bonus, was really inexpensive too. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes chop the fresh ingredients. And I bought everything for roughly $7! Ok, well without further ado I give you our new household hit, Southwestern Bean Skillet :)

This is the Betty Crocker image that caught my eye

image 

1 cup corn (I just used a can)

2 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro

1 tsp salt

1 small green bells pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)

1 small onion, chopped (1/4/ cup)

1 can chili beans in sauce, undrained

1 can black beans, drained

2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)

Shredded Mexican Cheese

 

(1) Mix all ingredients, except cheese and tomatoes, in 12 inches skillet. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 mintues.

(2) Uncover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in cheese and tomatoes until cheese is melted.

1 Serving: Calories 425 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 6g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 1660mg; Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 13g); Protein 24g Percent Daily Value*: Iron 30% Exchanges: 3 Starch; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

 

And because I was SO EXCITED about it, here was the process:

Fresh Chopped Cilantro

CIMG3776

Chopped Green Bell Pepper (It was half the pepper)

 CIMG3777

Chopped Tomato (I only used one)

CIMG3780

Chopped Onion (I used not even half)

CIMG3785

1 each: corn, chili beans, and black beans

 CIMG3786

Simmering

CIMG3788 

I tweeked things a little bit and we have Better Croker Southwester Bean Skillet a-la-Erin :) I didn’t melt in the cheese and I added it to a flour tortilla and sour cream with the cheese on top. And I actually forgot the salt  The end result was SO GOOD! We ate 5 tortillas and still had PLENTY left over. It alone could easily feed three or four adults.

CIMG3794

 CIMG3798

4 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I feel like you can make 1000 recipes with those ingredients. Soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe i should try that too, it sounds and looks really good :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really need to go to the grocery store. Maybe if I can work up the courage (and energy) to take the kids tomorrow (today? It's 4:50 am...), we could have this for dinner!

    ReplyDelete