Sunday, January 8, 2012

What’s for Dinner: Easy as Pie

photo 3

I really shouldn't be as proud of myself as I am for “cooking” lately. But, the things that I am making are huge steps up from the hamburger helper Devin and I lived on the first, uh, five years we were married. It’s ridiculous how easy the homemade (and not really homemade) dishes really are.

When we had the twins a whole long line of people brought us dinner. It was fantastic to say the least. Jennifer brought us BB Chicken/sandwiches. They were fantastic to say the least. So when I texted her to ask for the recipe, I was more than excited to know that I already had the three ingredients I needed and the crock pot. Needless to say, the house smelled a-maz-ing, and Devin has asked for it no less than ten times since then. I’m actually planning to bring it to a friend who just had twins too :) Gretchen brought us homemade beef stroganoff. Also, fan-tastic. It didn’t last too long either. I got the recipe from her and plan on making it in the next week or so. Finally (well, not finally on the meals we received, because there were a lot, but finally for why I’m bring you or making you hungry…) Both Sarah and Lori brought us their own versions of chicken pot pie. Both, once again, were sooooo good. We finished Sarah’s, probably before she was out of the neighborhood. And Lori’s was so good that instead of the usual before bed sweets, I had the rest of the chicken.

After several attempts with different recipes of varying degrees of “difficulty” (I use the term “difficult” very loosely because I don’t make anything truly difficult…) I think I finally found the best “Easy Chicken Pot Pie.”

What I Used: (It was all Publix brand, just FYI)

Pie-ish type pan

Frying Pan

Tin Foil

Butter

Assorted spices

Refrigerated pie crust

Chicken Boobs as Brittany affectionately called them AKA Chicken Breast (I used 1 1/2 breasts, the ratio of chicken to veggies seemed pretty good that way)

A can of cream of chicken soup

A can of mixed veggies (in my experimenting I also used fresh veggies. It’s really all going to be a matter of personal taste, and what veggies you want/don’t want honestly.)

 

What I did:

Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and cook them in a  frying pan with a little bit of water and butter. I have gotten into the “just throw it all in and don’t measure anything” thing so I couldn’t even begin to tell you how much I used. Maybe 1/2 – 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of butter? Some thing with the spices. I just opened the cupboard and said to myself “sure, that goes on chicken, right?” and sprinkled some on. In the end I think I used Italian, Oregano, Chives, and Season Salt. Not a ton, just a… dash or pinch I think are the culinary words I’m looking for.

 

The refrigerated pie crust comes in a box with two rolls in it. One for the top and one for the bottom (I didn’t know so I bought two boxes because I didn’t pay that close attention to the box, whoops.) Anyway, I put the one crust in my pie pan and cooked it for 10ish minutes one 400 while I cooked the chicken and mixed the other ingredients. I also took a fork and poked holes in the bottom so it didn’t get all bubbly when it cooked.

In a medium-large sized bowl I mixed everything together. The chicken, the can of cream of chicken soup and the can of mixed veggies. The can of veggies I drained about half-3/4 because I didn’t want the inside goodness of the pie to be runny. (When I opened the can of veggies I didn’t like the ratio of carrots to green beans and peas, so I opened a can of peas and scooped three spoonful. The whole can would have been too much, but I felt the orange to green was balanced now. – that’s going to be your personal preference)

 photo 1

 

After I mixed everything together I poured it into the bottom pie crust that had cooked for about 10 minutes. And then covered it with the second crust and sliced holes in the top. Then I lined the edges with tinfoil so they wouldn’t burn and cooked the whole thing (still at 400) for 30 minutes.

photo 2photo 4

 

VOILA!

 photo 5

 

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! 

image

1 comment: