Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something to Work With

By the end of this post, you’re going to be laughing at me. Thinking, “um, ok Erin.” But I don’t care :)

I was, shall we say, not feeling so well yesterday and pretty much recovered today. I’m feeling MUCH better. With the exception of my back being extremely sore and hurting when I laugh or speak above a normal tone, I’m all good. With that being said, I’ve spent a lot of time on the couch today. Devin is upstairs giving Collin a bath and putting him to bed and I decided to dive into the world of baby bedding. (On a side note, we won’t be finding out the sex of the babies on Monday, but rather Friday. Long story, don’t want to go into it right now. Sorry)

After Googling for quite some time a plethora of different combinations, “baby bedding,” "modern baby bedding,”  “kids bedding,” “kid’s rooms,” etc. etc etc. and bookmarking a few different sets, I had one of my epiphanies. I don’t have to design the room around the bedding. DUH! ERIN! Why did it take me TWO PLUS years to figure this out? What I loved so much about the kids bathroom upstairs is that it’s bright, colorful, fun, unisex, and could be changed fairly easily if I wanted to. That’s what has had me hung up on Collin’s room too. I didn’t want to stick to one specific “theme” per say, but wanted to do something that could grow and be easily adapted to a change in taste (mine or his, whichever it may be.)

So I went from looking at things like these…

image image image 

To things like these…

image

image

While there is a big difference in the two “categories” at the same time, there isn’t. Both are modern, contemporary, bright (ok, maybe not the red, white and grey…) and funky. I realized that because I’m not a fan of “baby baby” that I could do something more “big kid” with a “baby twist,” if that makes any sense at all. That way, when the time comes to either switch their rooms or “graduate” from the babiness it’s not like I would be started all over again.

This is why I started looking for solid bedding. Shocker, I know, me plain. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. So I did a search and found that Carousel Designs has exactly what I was started to envision, in such a wide variety of colors.

in such a wide variety of colors 

The more I looked through all the colors, the more I saw a colorful room in solid colors (not necessarily matching but coordinating) with “something” else. A design on the wall or “something.” I’m just oddly proud of myself for finding something that I liked and could go off. So, now I’m looking for the “something.” And still have two rooms to do. Ugh… Oh well, it’s a start.

2 comments:

  1. I care, I care!! :)And I like what you are going for. Can't wait to see the final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay soooo I did three design boards for our friends, Matt and Annie. The first one would be great for you all though:
    http://thehotpinkpolka-dot.blogspot.com/2009/12/annie-and-matt-nursery-design-boards.html

    It really fits with your color blocking idea and most of the items came from Ikea (can you say inexpensive :-) Anyways, I would do white furniture for this nursery. It would look very crisp against your color blocking idea.

    Also, another great go-to resource is project nursery: http://projectnursery.com/ They have it going on :-)

    I may think of other ideas, especially once you find out what you are having, and will let you know :-) Can't wait to see what you ultimately end up doing!

    ReplyDelete