Friday, April 16, 2010

5 Month 2 Weeks and 5 Days

I don’t even know where to start! Collin has started so many new things in the last few weeks, it’s amazing! I wanted to wait until his six month check up to do a post like this but I just can’t keep this in another week and a half!

  • He sleeps through most nights, for the most part. We usually start the bedtime routine around 7:00, when he starts to fuss: It’s vitamins, light the lavender-vanilla candle, a bath, diaper cream and Vaseline with a fresh diaper, Cortisone on eczema breakouts (if needed), CIMG3112Eucerin lotion all over, footie pajamas, hugs and kisses for Dad, and then one last time to nurse before he lays down (and the candle gets blown out). He’s generally in bed between 7:30 and 8:30. He will sleep (depending on what kind of naps he got during the day, the better the nap the longer he sleeps at night.  Weird.) until about 4:00 or 5:00. On a really good night, like last night, it’s 6:00. He wants to nurse and then go back to bed. After Devin leaves, he wakes up anywhere from 7:00-8:00. At this point I bring him into bed with me. He nurses again and falls asleep next to me. It’s one of my favorite things, to sleep in bed with him in the mornings. He’ll sleep another hour, maybe two and wake up babbling. I generally will lay there and let him talk and play for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes more, depending on how lazy I want to be, or how productive.
  • He LOVES the bath, his rubber ducky, and cups. We had to get a second cup just for him to play with it while he was in there because he kept reaching for the one we use to rinse him with. He has been CIMG2958kicking and splashing with his legs for a while, but has now discovered he can do it with his arms and   hands too. It’s too cute. A few nights ago, my child actually crawled out of the baby tub. Yes. He reached out and grabbed onto the end and just hoisted himself right out. He face planted in the big tub because neither Devin nor myself really thought he would do it. Needless to say, we don’t underestimate this little boy anymore.
  • He will sleep though the night without eating solid food. So I can wait until he’s 6 months to start that. Except, I didn’t. Because he wants EVERYTHING that I have. I’ll give him a french fry and he’ll suck on it. He reaching for anything that is in front of him. So we started him on real food. It was just some regular Gerber pureed stuff at first to see what he thought about it. He loved everything. Some nights he will 100_4025 finish an entire container, other nights it’s only half. Just  depends on his mood. This makes going out to dinner easier, to a point. If we are eating, Collin wants to eat. So, of course he does. I ran out of Gerber food one day and was going out and opted for some applesauce I had in the fridge. It was more textured than anything he had before. LOVED IT. I could shovel it into his mouth fast enough. I recently stole Mom’s VitaMix and made my first homemade baby food. Acorn squash. Tomorrow will be the first time he tries is so, we’ll see how that goes.
  • Has a sippy cup. But it’s not so much a sippy cup yet, as it is a teething toy that water comes out of. If I hold it for him though he will 100_3986drink out of it. One day he’ll get it.
  • Loves Puffs. He gums them until they dissolve and then wants more.
  • Tummy time is nonexistent. If he is placed on his tummy, he flips over to his back, then rolls to his tummy, and then to his back, his tummy, and just rolls until he' runs out of room.
  • He sits up all by himself. He was a little wobbly for a while, and still is sometimes. But now I can sit him on the floor with toys in front of him and he will play. I don’t have to sit there because I know he he going to fall over. He has more of a “controlled topple” now. I was sick aCIMG3103 few days ago. I laid on the couch behind him for about an hour and he just sat and checked out/chewed on all of his toys I set out for him.
  • He’s going to crawl. And I’m sure it’s going to happen soon. When he is sitting on the floor, rather than just topple over, he will lean forward with his hands in front of him and bounce back and forth. Trying with all his might to move forward. He’s got all the right motions, but he can’t seem to get one foot out from under him. As soon as he figures it out, he’ll be gone. And there will be no turning back.
  • TODAY he started pulling himself up. Or at least trying too. I put him in his crib with some toys to play and walked into the other room for a few minutes. He started to fuss, I assumed he had toppled over and was upset about it. Boy was I wrong. When I walked back in his room I 100_4049was not expecting to see him. Never mind see him with both hands on the crib rail bouncing and rocking trying to stand up. He was sitting next to his swing later in the day and tried the same thing, with the swing. Much to his dismay the swing, well, swings and isn’t good for  pulling up. So I thought to myself. He holds onto my hand and stand up all the time. He’s trying REALLY hard to crawl, and to pull himself up. I wonder if he could hold onto something himself and stand. So I grabbed the camera (just incase) and put him at the entertainment center. I had enough time to snap like 5 or 6 pictures and get a 30 second video before he plopped down to his bottom. He was so proud of himself. He had the biggest grin ever when he was done.

Ok, I think that’s the bulk of the exciting new stuff that’s been going on. An updated weight and height will come after his six month appointment in a couple more weeks. I can’t believe he is almost SIX MONTHS OLD! That’s HALF of a year! When I was six month pregnant people were telling me I was almost done! SIX MONTHS! Geez…

And of course, just because I think he’s too stinking cute… some more pictures :)

CIMG3080

100_3996 100_3999 100_4005 100_4008

 100_4034

100_4015

 100_4041

1 comment: